The Budwig Protocol
This newsletter summarizes a 300+ page report translated from German on the Budwig Protocol. This Protocol has saved the lives of literally thousands of cancer patients and has helped people with other physical problems as well. I personally do the Budwig Protocol every morning as a cancer preventive and because it is good for the brain, heart, blood pressure, joints, dry mouth, hearing and for every cell of the body – and it tastes delicious!
• Dr. Budwig was nominated seven times for the Nobel Prize for her research on fats and the importance of Omega-3 and Omega-6 for our health. She proved that some fats are vital for the body to stay healthy. More than fifty years ago her research demonstrated why these natural fatty acids are essential and exactly how they cure cancer.
• In a 1967 German radio interview, Dr. Budwig stated that after a few months of following the Budwig Protocol, 90% of her cancer patients were healthy again – except for those who had received chemotherapy, where it takes much longer and is more difficult. The Budwig Protocol also helps people overcome other diseases including arthritis and cardiovascular disease.
• Dr. Budwig writes, “Tumors in the prostate or in the breast, the tumor is often dissolved or eliminated within a few weeks. This assistance is possible even after treatment with chemotherapy and in the presence of metastasis.”
• When cells are healthy, the mitochondria inside the cell produce energy by using oxygen [oxidation].
• Since 1931 it has been recognized that oxidation of the cells is the best way to turn cancer cells into healthy cancer-free cells.
The danger of processed fat and heating oils in relation to cancer
• Bad fats decrease oxygen levels in the cells. According to Dr. Budwig’s research, one of the major reasons why the mitochondria are not working to produce energy by using oxygen is because of processed fat in the diet. Trans-fatty acids and other bad fats cause oxygen levels in cells to decrease. This is why she insists that cancer patients avoid margarine, butter, all oils that harden in the refrigerator, fish oil and meat fat, etc.)
• Fascinating research on unhealthy fats. Dr. Henrik Dam and Edward Doisy won the Nobel Prize in 1943 for their research on unhealthy fats: they gave one group of mice hardened fat in the form of peanut butter and another group were given natural polyunsaturated fat.
• Premature aging. The group receiving the hardened fat aged prematurely and the young males in the litter were impotent, while the females in this group gave birth to dead babies. After eight weeks, young males on the peanut butter fat had no sperm count and testicular and nearby glands were clogged. They had skin problems, hair loss and general ill health.
None of this happened in the group receiving the natural fatty acids [as found in flaxseeds and freshly pressed organic flaxseed oil, nuts, avocado, seeds and vegetables – although the article I read did not list the source of the natural polyunsaturated fatty acids given to the 2nd group of mice].
• Dangers of oils that harden in the refrigerator. It has been known since 1971 that heat-treated oils and trans-fatty acids are detrimental to human health (something Budwig warned about in 1951). However, any oil that is solid in the refrigerator – besides natural (organic) coconut oil – can damage health.
• Low fat diet. It is interesting that the Dr. Esselstyn cure for cancer – researched and scientifically proven – is based on a vegan diet with very low oil intake. Budwig would agree with this as she states that we should avoid all oils, except freshly pressed organic flaxseed oil in the Budwig Protocol.
Dr. Budwig states that “The wrong fats can cause cysts and tumors, but the right fats can dissolve cysts and tumors.”
• The vehicle for transporting oxygen into the cells. After years of research, Dr. Budwig discovered that the combination (in a particular ratio) of flaxseed oil, which is rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, with low-fat cottage cheese, which is a sulfur-rich protein, makes absorption of oxygen into our trillions of cells possible. Sulfur-rich protein is the vehicle for transporting Omego-3 and Omega-6 into the cells. (This combination makes the fatty acids water soluble and therefore easily assimilated into the cells).
• This interaction between sulfur proteins and polyunsaturated fas is the missing link for the uptake of oxygen.
• Deficiency in cancer patients. Budwig’s research proved that cold-pressed, unheated and unprocessed flaxseed oil provides the body with the essential fatty acids that cancer patients lack altogether or have a deficiency of in their body.
• Why Omega-3 supplementation didn’t work. What is interesting is that doctors have treated cancer patients with different sources of Omega-3 but without consistent success. Budwig’s research found that for the Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids to be fully available at the cellular level, they had to be tied to a sulfur-based protein – the best source she found to be low fat cottage cheese.
Dr. Roehm stated, “I wish that all my patients had the education of a biochemist and quantum physicist so they could understand the perfect composition of this diet [the Budwig oil protein diet].”
Summary of the cause of cancer
• The body cannot produce Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which are the body’s building blocks. They are supplied through the food we eat (not pills!). Omega-6 is available in quantity, but most people are seriously deficient in Omega-3 fatty acids.
• The outer shell of each cell is composed of fatty acids [including omega-3 and cholesterol], which forms a super-thin protective layer that does not dissolve in water.
• Without sufficient essential fatty acids the cell membrane (wall) becomes too hard for normal cell division to take place.
Sick cells continue to divide within the hard shell membrane. This, Dr. Budwig’s research showed, is the beginning of cancer. The daughter cell does not divide in a normal way from the mother cell and therefore cannot die naturally. A tumor is therefore initiated by immature cell growth.
The importance of sunlight for recovery and good health
• How essential fatty acids are recharged with electrons. Essential fatty acids are electrically charged. Budwig states that they get their electrons (are recharged) from solar energy stored in green plant leaves and seeds. Flaxseed oil made from flax seed has eighteen hydrogen links, which give it “a high electronic amplification.”
• Dr. Budwig found that when the capacity to take up oxygen and sunlight (photons) is compromised, disease results. Sunlight recharges cells in the body and the Budwig Protocol of cottage cheese and flaxseed oil enables oxygen to enter the cells.
• Avoid sunscreen and dark glasses when getting your daily twenty-minute dose of sunlight. When the skin is exposed to sunlight without sunscreen, production of lymphocytes in the skin is stimulated; T-cells are activated; Interferon (protein) is stimulated; cellular respiration is improved; Vitamin D is created in the skin and sunlight recharges the cells in the body.
• Both sunlight and Omega-3 fatty acids are essential for a strong immune system. After about three weeks of daily intake of the Budwig flaxseed oil and sulfur protein cottage cheese, along with sunlight, she tested that levels of essential fatty acids increase, and tumor size is reduced.
Other diseases that can be helped
• The basis of disease as seen in Dr. Budwig’s research is the inability of cells to take in oxygen and sunlight (photons), so the body’s trillions of cells (including all the brain cells) are unable to create enough energy for life and health.
• Oxygen-breathing cells (aerobic) is why the Budwig Protocol is not only successful for cancer, but has been helpful for arthritis, heart infarction, the brain and nervous system and other diseases. Budwig also believes that diabetes is a problem of fat metabolism and not sugar metabolism as is commonly accepted.
• Eyes. Behind the eyes is a “fat body” that disappears in cancer patients and in old age, causing the eyes to sink back into the head. However, cancer patients report that their vision improves on the Budwig protocol. It would seem that visual acuity is dependent on the orbital fat behind the eyeball.
Dr. Budwig observed that cancer patients have very dry skin and thickening of the skin, and that most suffer from constipation due to decreased mucus production in the intestine. She showed that when the essential fats are restored, mucus production is stimulated, sometimes within hours or days.
The basic recipe – the ratio of cottage cheese to flaxseed oil – for cancer patients
• The basic recipe is six tablespoons of low-fat cottage cheese to three tablespoons of organic cold pressed flaxseed oil. Plus four tablespoons of freshly ground organic flaxseeds (Budwig preferred the dark brown flaxseeds), which is sprinkled on top. Basically a 2:1 ratio of cottage cheese to flaxseed oil.
• Depending on the severity, she had her patients use 6-12 tablespoons of organic low fat cottage cheese to 3-6 tablespoons of organic cold-pressed flaxseed oil per day. Start out with less and increase over time as needed.
• Those doing the Budwig Protocol to maintain their health may want to do the maintenance dose: use 4 tablespoons of lowfat cottage cheese to 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil & 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed sprinkled on top.
• Barlean’s flaxseed oil: 1-800-445-3529. Barlean’s produces organic cold-pressed, raw flaxseed oil, which is dated when the oil is pressed. This is important as flaxseed oil needs to be a fresh as possible. If it is bitter, it is probably rancid, and will do nothing but harm.
You can also buy Barlean’s at Sprouts and various health food stores in the U.S. Nature’s Distributors in Arizona is another excellent source: 1-800-624-7114.
• Make sure you keep the flaxseed oil refrigerated at all times.
• Low-fat cottage cheese: Sprouts and various health food stores carry organic, low-fat cottage cheese from grass fed cows. Nancy’s is one possible brand.
How to mix the flaxseed oil and low fat cottage cheese
• Thoroughly mix the cottage cheese and flaxseed oil together and let it sit for five minutes.
• Now you need to blend the mixture until the flaxseed oil and cottage cheese look like a thick cream – the flaxseed oil is dissolved with no oil floating on top of the cottage cheese.
• At this point you can add or blend an organic banana, blueberries or strawberries (avoid inorganic strawberries as they are heavily sprayed), walnuts or other fruit you enjoy. And sprinkle the freshly ground flaxseeds on top.
THE COMPLETE BUDWIG PROTOCOL – SUMMARY for cancer patients, and if you want to experiment with health, modify it to suit your needs
Budwig’s recommendation for the prevention of cancer
For more information